Wednesday, April 13, 2016

20 min Entertainment and Radio Research.

I did my research on radio entertainment in the 1930s. This time period was referred to the old time radio era. This lasted from early 1920s to the 1950s. Radio was used for many things at the time such as war, advertisement, and entertainment. Because of the radio, people were able to tune into their favorite programs. The was live drama, comedy, and music. There were classical musical programs such as: The voice of Firestone and the Bell Telephone hour. The metropolitan Opera radio broadcast was also very popular. Popular Songwriters such as George Gershwin were also featured on the radio.However, there was no program dedicated to classical music until later. Country music was also popular and so was radio comedy. The First soap opera was Clara, Lu, and Em in 1930. It premiered in Chicago. Some of the outstanding radio dramas were 26 by Corwin, NBC short story, and Arch Oboler's Plays. The first commercially licensed radio station in America.
     One of the most popular American radio soap operas was Painted Dreams. It was the first daytime radio station in America. It premiered in October 20, 1930 and ended in July 1943. Iran Phillips not only wrote it but also acted in it. The show followed the relationship of Irish working widow mother Moynihan and her unmarried daughter. Here is some of the dialogue: 

(Kitchen: Irene and Sue arguing. Mrs. Moynihan preparing breakfast.)
IRENE: I tell you, Sue, it won’t work. I’ve never worn that shade of orchid in all my life. I’d look like a perfect washout. Besides, that’s your very best special occasion dress. I wouldn’t think of taking it.SUE: Don’t be silly. A wedding is a special occasion, isn’t it? And as long as I won’t need to wear it, you might just as well. If you’re a bridesmaid, you’ve got to look the part, kid.IRENE: But I don’t look good in that color. I’d look faded or something.SUE: Cracked ice! You can’t tell. You’ve never had it on. Gee, with gold slippers and a gold turban hat, you’d be a wow! Wouldn’t she, Mrs. Moynihan?MRS.: Won't you be wearing it, Sue?SUE: Why no; there's no reasons for my dressing up. I'm not in the wedding party. And I think that it would be just right for Irene, if there were a few tucks taken in around the waist. Anyway, it would save her from buying a dress.IRENE: Well, who says I don't want to buy a dress? It's about time I was getting a new formal, anyhow. I haven't got a rag that's fit to be seen.



No comments:

Post a Comment