Monday, November 30, 2015

Migration and Visualization

Today in class, we did research on human migration, human population, and the idea of visualization and how it can help us learn. According to Wikipedia, human migration is the movement by people from one place to another with the intensions of settling temporarily or permanently. Humans have been migrating for thousands of years. This is because of many different factors such as climate and agriculture. Because of these migrations humans became experts in different skills and began to develop traits that benefited them in the areas that they migrated to. The idea of migration began in Africa and this is because this is where humans first began to settle. A phrase that was commonly mentioned throughout my research was "out of Africa". I was not sure what this meant exactly so i looked it up. According to an article, out of Africa is a theory or hypothesis that argues that every living human being is descended from a small group in Africa. This theory has been researched greatly and is well supported and many believe it's true. We study human migration in order to understand the past, to understand the patterns of our ancestors, and to see where we come from and why. But a question that has always been in the back of my mind is why do we look the way that we do? After taking a quiz on PBS, I soon found out that scientist do not know the answer to this question yet. We seem to associate looks with a place of origin but are assumptions are not always true. After taking another quiz on PBS, I was shocked to see my results when i matched someone's face with a place of origin. I got almost every single one wrong. This confused me but it turned out that even though someone may be white or black, we each have different races in us that may make us look a certain way even though we identify as something else.
     Visualization is a great way to learn. I am personally a visual learner. This is because I learn better when I get to interact and see the things that are being explained right in front of me. With pictures we are able to bring a conversation to life and understand it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment