Monday, October 19, 2015

Newspaper Diary Entry

July 09, 1878

Disclaimer: This is for a class assignment in history class. I am portraying the wife of a wealthy man in 1878 in California.

     Dear Diary,
Today is just your average day in the state of California. However, instead of doing my normal kind of entry where I complain about my life and talk about myself, I thought that maybe I could talk about the life around me for a change. I guess the newspaper just inspired me because I realized that there are more interesting things in life besides my own. So I guess this shouldn't be a hard task considering my husband is the governor of the city. (which means I basically know everything) Lately the town has had a few run-ins with the indians again (what's new?) I guess I just do not understand all of the feud but lately there has just been so many casualties and I feel like it is time to put it to an end; but I doubt that will happen. My husband has even sent armed forces to protect the people of Sacramento. People nowadays just feel so helpless and worried about the indians especially with all of the fights going on. But that is just what happened this morning. Personally I find the news from last night more intriguing. Apparently 192 Chinese have come to California! And also they finally caught that filthy indian who killed that poor citizen and stole all of his money. How could someone be so savage? And while I'm on the subject of death I think its important to bring up how that woman was proved not guilty for the assassination of president Lincoln. Oh and how about that nine year old who killed his mother?! There is so much gossip around this town but I am glad the paper is here to tell us the facts and not the fiction. And with all of these tragedies happening, we deserve to know the truth!
     Now that I have went on my little rant I think it is appropriate to start talking about something else thats maybe not so tragic. I guess since I am the governor's wifeI should talk about development of the state. I think we are doing well! The railroads have helped some but hasn't had as much impact as we hoped. Also, the paper just reminded me how the new skating rink is opening! How exciting! It's great to see how much we are growing; it makes me very exited for the future. Well, I guess I will go now. I believe I have some shopping to do. There are many sales going on that I might want to go to. I will talk to you tomorrow!

                                                                                                       Sincerely,
                                                                                                         Amelia

4 comments:

  1. I like how you made yourself a character and gave yourself a role, and a mentioned your personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your journal entry was really elaborate and well written, I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you really acted as if you were living in that time period and i really liked how you used the word savage.....i love that word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You incorporated how a woman in that time period would really feel under such circumstances, which was very good. I liked how you added examples of how technology was improving such as railroads.

    ReplyDelete