Friday, September 4, 2015

Practicing Incorporating a Quotation

According to the article on Reel American History, "Zwick used many willing and able civilian re-enactors. These extras took their roles very seriously and were consistently adamant in offering advice for the bettering of the film's details." This quote shows how dedicated people were to this film and how much they wanted to make it happen. Also, the fact that they did not get paid was almost hard to believe because of how much work they had to put into it. Knowing this about the film made it more interesting because people really studied their roles to make sure it was as accurate as possible. 


This is what Mrs. Lawson wanted me to learn today:


  • only use a quote when it adds power and style to my writing. 
  • Always make it clear, from context, that I understand the full meaning of the quote. 
  • Whether I quote or paraphrase, always be transparent about the source and how I'm using it. 
  • If I use another author's exact words or phrases, to any extent, I have to use quotation marks and give credit.
  • If I use another author's presentation of facts or ideas, but put their ideas in my own words, I better have a good reason for doing that, and I MUST give credit. 
  • Hyperlinking is so easy, there is no excuse for not being transparent about my sources. 

I feel that I understand but I do need more practice with paraphrasing and giving credit. I would hate to unknowingly plagiarize because that is not okay. My goal is to not have any fear that I am not giving credit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment